Tube & Rail
2/4
/Tube & Rail/ London//4 min read
London Travel News reportTube & RailLondonFile DISTRICT

District and Circle lines suspended after track casualty at Earl’s Court

Commuters advised to use buses, DLR or Elizabeth line as TfL accepts tickets on alternative routes

Trust 42Craft 55Hype 65How this was reported ▾
Trust42/100

Single source, no named official or document cited directly.

How well corroborated and evidenced the reporting is. Higher is better.

Craft55/100

No affected commuters quoted or right of reply given.

Context, balance and separation of fact from comment. Higher is better.

Hype65/100

Headline overstates 'major disruption' without clear evidence.

How far presentation runs ahead of substance. Lower is better.

1 source assessed · methodology

NewsroomLTN
Newsroom signatureLondon Travel DeskOperator data, editor-supervised
Filed London TravelStatus checked against the operator
Pass this story on
District and Circle lines suspended after track casualty at Earl’s Court
HNL visual fileLondon

London Underground suspended District line trains between Earl’s Court and Whitechapel on the morning of 19 August 2026 after a casualty on the track. The Circle line had no service at all, Transport for London confirmed.

TfL told passengers there would be no District line service between those two stations while staff responded to the incident. Severe delays affected the rest of the line, and commuters were advised to avoid it where possible.

Read Next in London Travel News4 min read
Tube services suspended after track casualty disrupts five lines

Tube services suspended after track casualty disrupts five lines

Circle line halted, District and Hammersmith & City lines severely delayed following incident on 19 August

Alternative routes offered

Tickets were accepted on London Buses, Docklands Light Railway, Elizabeth line, Thameslink, London Northwestern Railway and Chiltern Railways. TfL also listed South Western Railway and C2C as alternative routes for affected passengers.

The Metropolitan line experienced severe delays due to an earlier fire alert at Farringdon station. The alert was cleared, but services remained disrupted into the morning peak.

Related Borough Coverage4 min read
Four Tube lines hit by delays across north and central London

Four Tube lines hit by delays across north and central London

Northern, Piccadilly, District and Metropolitan lines affected during Friday afternoon peak

Other lines affected

The Central line had minor delays between North Acton and Ealing Broadway, and between Leytonstone and Epping or Hainault, due to train cancellations. The Elizabeth line also faced minor delays between Hayes and Harlington and Reading after a vehicle struck a bridge at Langley.

The Mildmay line, which runs between Gunnersbury and Richmond, had severe delays earlier in the morning due to an obstruction on the track at Chiswick Park. Services had resumed by 09:00, TfL said.

What happens next

TfL has not said when District and Circle line services will resume. Passengers are advised to check the TfL website or app for live updates before travelling. No further information about the casualty has been released.

Questions this report answers

+Which Tube lines were suspended on 19 August 2026?

The District line was suspended between Earl’s Court and Whitechapel, and the Circle line had no service at all. Both were stopped after a casualty on the track near Earl’s Court. TfL confirmed the suspension.

+Can I use my Tube ticket on buses or other trains?

Yes. TfL accepted tickets on London Buses, DLR, Elizabeth line, Thameslink, London Northwestern Railway and Chiltern Railways on 19 August 2026. This applied to passengers affected by the District and Circle line suspensions.

+Why was the Metropolitan line delayed?

The Metropolitan line had severe delays due to a fire alert at Farringdon station earlier on 19 August 2026. The alert was cleared, but services remained disrupted during the morning peak.

+When will District and Circle line services resume?

TfL has not announced a time for resumption. Passengers should check the TfL website or app for live updates before travelling. No further details about the casualty have been released.

On the recordHOW
WE FILE

No invented reporter. No hidden source trail.

The London Travel Desk assembled this report from the outlets listed below. Language-model drafting is reviewed under human editorial supervision, with scoring notes and corrections kept visible.

More Coverage in Tube & Rail

Tube services suspended after track casualty disrupts five lines

Tube services suspended after track casualty disrupts five lines

London | 4 min read
Four Tube lines hit by delays across north and central London

Four Tube lines hit by delays across north and central London

London | 4 min read
London Underground mosquito surge hits Barnet commuters early

London Underground mosquito surge hits Barnet commuters early

London | 4 min read
Every Tube line delayed as 36°C heat halts London services

Every Tube line delayed as 36°C heat halts London services

London | 4 min read

Who else reported this

Our article above is written from the facts in these reports. Read the originals — every one is linked.

District line suspended after Earl’s Court track casualty on 19 Aug 2026 | London Travel News